Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Internet Death Threats

They are as old as the internet, and for the most part, I don't feel they are worth the paper they are printed on.

In fact, they are not even new to the Second Life world.

Several months ago, someone posted on a forum that they would "cheerfully strangle" a certain person. Even though one person mentioned a specific person by name and suggested a specific manner with which they would do so, very few people considered it an actual death threat... with some notable exceptions... the same notable exceptions who seem to enjoy elevating hyperbole to the point of absurdity, interpreting and filtering information to suit their specific agenda, and then disseminating this information in a manner that supports the outcome they wish to achieve... often with the intent to cause irreparable harm to another persons reputation.

I even lampooned the concept of internet threats myself with my "Dead Pool" satire post.

Not that I think that internet people are inherently harmless... in fact, quite the opposite. I personally believe that heavy internet users have one of the highest "sick puppy" per "normal person" ratios that can be found in a sample that size. For this reason alone, I have myself chosen to remain anonymous and have been fairly careful on what aspects of my real life I allow to intersect with internet people.

I do think there is potential for real life danger... but in all honesty I feel that potential is very, very low. However, if someone was seriously concerned about their physical safety, then I would advise them to consult with law enforcement about it and take suitable reasonable precautions. To suggest any other course of action in the face of possible danger would be irresponsible regardless of how silly I personally think the whole idea of internet threats are.

Now, due to some information that I have received, it seems fairly obvious to me that some 3rd parties are doing an awful lot to convince a specific person that I have made some sort of threat against them or have in some way targeted them for violence. These 3rd parties seem to once again be interpreting and filtering information to suit their specific agenda, and then disseminating this information in a manner that supports the outcome they wish to achieve... and it seems to be the intention to cause irreparable harm to another persons reputation and use another person as the vehicle for this attack.

I feel fairly silly saying this as an adult with two feet squarely on terra firma, but, in case they have managed to succeed in making this person or anyone else believe they are in some sort of danger from me personally, for the record, I am going to make a statement on this matter.

I have not made a death threat or any other kind of threat against anyone.

I have no intention to cause harm to anyone.

If someone has made you believe that I have made a threat against you or anyone else, or if you or anyone believe they are in some kind of danger from me, I apologize for that result and can assure them that there is no danger from me whatsoever.

Now I have said what I have to say about this matter, and have done so with the intention to make one thing perfectly clear: I have made no internet threat and no one is any danger from me. Any further discussion about this from me will not be occurring on the internet.
 

Search This Blog

Flickr

Special thanks to http://www.flickr.com for hosting my photos.

copyright © 2005-2011 The Artist Known as Mulch 

Thanks for Stopping By!